Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Should I Build: Onken Box For Altec 604E?s ?

  1. #21
    HB Super Moderator
    Should I Build:  Onken Box For Altec 604E?s ?


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Should I Build: Onken Box For Altec 604E?s ?

    Do NOT (Rabbet or Dado) the braces into the panels as this will weaken the panels.This will cause them to resonate IMHO..

  2. #22
    Hostboard Member Tralalalala's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2011
    Posts
    78
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Should I Build: Onken Box For Altec 604E?s ?

    Thanks!

    Understand.

    Good - Will then use butt joints with headless staples for these braces. and glue of course...

  3. #23
    Hostboard Member Tralalalala's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2011
    Posts
    78
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Should I Build: Onken Box For Altec 604E?s ?

    Hi,

    Attaching full cutout plan for the build of the 360L Onken box.

    uhm.. parts that are not included in this drawing ; the frames that will hold the front baffle in place. I will probably use 2" 3" pine for this frame.

    One question:

    I did draw this cabinet with a 27mm plywood. ( thats somewhere in between 5/4" and 4/4" )

    Is it a big difference building the cabinets out of 27mm and 24mm plywood in this design?
    Difference is in inches : 3mm = 0.12 inches.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #24
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Should I Build: Onken Box For Altec 604E?s ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tralalalala View Post

    I did draw this cabinet with a 27mm plywood. ( thats somewhere in between 5/4" and 4/4" )
    Is that something that you can source locally? Plywood greater than 3/4" is not common in the US.

    I could see going with a thicker material front and back, but the sides should be pretty strong considering the two panels are so close together, connected with the braces.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #25
    HB Super Moderator
    Should I Build:  Onken Box For Altec 604E?s ?


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Should I Build: Onken Box For Altec 604E?s ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    Is that something that you can source locally? Plywood greater than 3/4" is not common in the US.
    I think he may be using Baltic Birch which is available here in 1" 4'x8' sheets.. The 3/4" stuff comes in 5'x5' sheets. This is what's available here in my area.

  6. #26
    Hostboard Member Tralalalala's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2011
    Posts
    78
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Should I Build: Onken Box For Altec 604E?s ?

    Hi guys,

    Just to be sure I?m correct:

    3/4 inches = 19mm
    4/4 inches = 25mm
    5/4 incehs = 31mm

    I can source 18mm, 24mm, 27mm and 30mm birch plywood where I live.

    They come in the dimensions: 1220mm x 2440mm = 4 feet wide x 8 feet long. This is usually the "standard" size you get on plates where I live.


    Thanks for the input ! will try to build my Onken boxes with back and front panels in 27mm, the rest in 24mm.

  7. #27
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Should I Build: Onken Box For Altec 604E?s ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tralalalala View Post
    Hi guys,

    Just to be sure I?m correct:

    3/4 inches = 19mm
    4/4 inches = 25mm
    5/4 incehs = 31mm

    I can source 18mm, 24mm, 27mm and 30mm birch plywood where I live.

    They come in the dimensions: 1220mm x 2440mm = 4 feet wide x 8 feet long. This is usually the "standard" size you get on plates where I live.


    Thanks for the input ! will try to build my Onken boxes with back and front panels in 27mm, the rest in 24mm.
    5/4 inches would be closer to 32mm mathematically, but I have no idea what kind of tolerances are allowed in making plywood.

    1 inch is equal to 2.54 cm exactly.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  8. #28
    Hostboard Member Tralalalala's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2011
    Posts
    78
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Should I Build: Onken Box For Altec 604E?s ?

    Yes. You`re right. 5/4 inches = more 32mm than 31mm.


    Uhm... it?s difficult to build stuff with a precision more than 1mm. Except if you got really precise tools like a CNC machine or similar.

    I build stuff with handheld tools, so 1mm is the most precise measurement I can work with from technical drawings.


    Attaching one last cutout plan for 4feet x 8feet long plywood plates. All measurements are in mm. I think everything is in place now...

    I?ve now also taken into account the grain direction of the plywood plates.

    The height of the side panels + the top/bottom panels are drawn for miter/rabbet joints. This is because I want to probably use a grey wood stainer on the cabinets.


    PS: I can source locally Titebond II wood glue. Will use this glue for the build, I?m unsure of using the PL400 glue since it sounded difficult to work with; this time I?m not taking into concern the thought of using hot glue that was my initial though - oh man, what a mess that would have been ....

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me in this process. Will keep you updated on the build !


    2

    Attaching the cabinet plan I?ve used for source. Just for reference. + a really cool picture of the cabinet....

    3

    4
    Last edited by Tralalalala; October 7th, 2014 at 02:16 AM. Reason: redit of cut plan. + some extra pictures.

  9. #29
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Should I Build: Onken Box For Altec 604E?s ?

    I've never heard one but have heard plenty of good things about them. Wishing you luck on your build and the outcome.

  10. #30
    Hostboard Member Tralalalala's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2011
    Posts
    78
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Should I Build: Onken Box For Altec 604E?s ?

    Cool. Thank you for giving thumbs up !

    PS: I?ve also taken into concern a saw blade that cuts 3mm on the drawings.

    I?ve also made a 10mm distance from edges of the 4feet x 8feet plates.... ( maybe not on the 27mm plywood plate ... this plywood plate has parts very close to each other... )


    Thanks !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.